TO: ALL PRACTICING ATTORNEYS IN THE BOKSBURG DISTRICT
FROM: NKOSANA E NKOSI
DATE: 27 JANUARY 2016
SUBJECT: SMALL CLAIMS COURT – BOKSBURG
This is a humble plea to you to consider participating actively in the affairs of Boksburg Small Claims Court.
- There are only two (2) attorneys serving as commissioners of the Boksburg Small Claims Court. The Commissioners are Mr. Nhlapo of Nhlapo Moloto Attorneys and Mr Nkosi the writer hereof.
- The court seats on Tuesdays from 17H00 and adjourns at the commissioner’s discretion which on average is at 19H00.
- On average the roll has about twenty matters per seating.
- Each commissioner is on duty twice a month.
COMPELLING REASONS TO PARTICIPATE
- I believe we all have a moral duty and a social responsibility to participate.
- In terms of the Law Society’s directive, we all have a legal duty to participate in the Pro - Bono programme. Your participation in the Small Claims Court is accredited as Pro - Bono participation.
- Your personal and firms profile will be enhanced.
- You get the opportunity to serve your community and the society at large. Consequently, access to justice will be promoted.
- You will gain a wealth of experience in adjudication and the list goes on and on.
- Lastly, IT IS THE RIGHT THING TO DO.
HOW TO GO ABOUT IT
- Attorneys with five (5) years experience or more in practice qualify to apply to be admitted as a Commissioner of the Small Claims Court.
- You may approach the office of the Chief Magistrate or the Court Manager in Boksburg magistrates Court.
- You will be furnished with application forms to complete and submit to the Chief Magistrate.
- If the Minister of Justice approves your application you will be sworn in, receive training and thereafter start your duties as a commissioner.
- The writer hereof has been a Commissioner continuously for approximately seventeen (17) years. I have no regrets.
- There is a dire need for more commissioners. I plead with you to seriously consider applying. Please feel free to contact me should need be.
NKOSI NKOSANA INC.